Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with a neighbour about their children’s toys, such as balls or frisbees, in my garden

Involving the police in this type of issue is not always the best course of action as a first response. It can escalate the issue and cause more problems for both parties.

If possible, speak to your neighbour about the problem and try and resolve it between you.

Please note, if you keep the toys and refuse to give them back, you may eventually end up facing prosecution yourself.

This information is provided courtesy of Ask the Police.