Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with a neighbour about their CCTV camera pointing at my property

Many people are installing closed-circuit television (CCTV) as a home security measure as it's proved to be an effective tool in fighting crime. Cameras used for limited household purposes are not subject to the Data Protection Act 2018.

However, if the footage covers areas beyond this, such as neighbouring streets or other properties, it may create problems. There could be issues regarding privacy and harassment if you're being recorded in your home.

The first step is to speak to your neighbour to see if they'll reposition the camera so that it doesn't point at your property. If that doesn't work and you want to take further action, we recommend getting legal advice from a solicitor.

You may find resources belonging to the Information Commissioner’s Office useful as well. 

This information is provided courtesy of Ask the Police.